Taleo Enterprise Edition: How to explore Custom UDF Definitions via Web Service call

User Defined Fields Overview

User-Defined fields in Taleo EE can be created to collect information according to specific organization requirements. User-Defined fields can be made available in Taleo Recruiting Center, Career Sections, Candidate Search and the History tab, as well as in OBI reporting. You can create up to 50 User-Defined fields for each of the following categories: Candidate – Personal Information, Candidate – Work Experience, Candidate – Education, Department, Offer, Requisition.

There are three types of User-Defined fields:

  • Basic – Text, multilingual text, number, date, and selection (known as a small dropdown menu).
  • Selection – Allow System Administrators to define answer selections or create large user defined lists know as a LUDS, which include a quick search lookup for the entry.
  • Standard Predefined Selection – Standard Predefined dropdown menus that contain default predefined element lists.

From the integration perspective it is a good question how to discover or explore UDFs definition from third party applications. Taleo Connect Client has ability to refresh/synchronize custom fields from Taleo zone but it is manual step.

TCC-UDF

From Taleo Release 14B Custom UDF definitions, name and type, can be extracted through a Web Service call. Customers call the Web Service with the EntityName and ModelVersion parameters. It might be very useful when automating integrations with HRIS where custom fields are required.

Expose Custom UDF Definitions

Creating web service requests from Taleo Connect Client (TCC)

A critical aspect of using Taleo Web Services is being able to create requests for export and import. The best approach I found is to leverage TCC which offers a graphical user interface to create queries and apply a few simple transformations to final WS request.

For exploration of UDF definitions I will use FindService WS with findPartialEntities operation. WSDL can be found by URL: https://<your zone>.taleo.net/enterprise/soap?ServiceName=FindService&wsdl

I will prepare SQ-XML query in TCC and paste in the following SOAP envelope:

SOAP

  • Paste your SQ-XML query between the tags and apply the following changes:

So let me start creating SQ-XML query in TCC. For those who not familiar with TCC please see quick start quide from A-Team Group Getting started with Taleo Connect Client (TCC).

You can see TCC export specification for UDFDefinition Entity:

TCC-export spec

TCC Console allows to see final XML request which has been sended to Integration Server. You can simple cut SQ-XML Query and paste into SOAP message:

TCC-Console-Request

Also you can see response message:

TCC-Console-Response

Call Web Service from Soap UI tool

An finally I will call web service FindService from my favorite testing tool Soap UI:

SOAP-UI-WS

Query returns UDFs for Candidate Entity sorted by ID.


I look forward to cooperation.

Good luck and remember:

EXERCITATO ARTEM PARAT (practice is the best teacher)
– Publius Cornelius Tacitus

Advertisements

9 thoughts on “Taleo Enterprise Edition: How to explore Custom UDF Definitions via Web Service call

  1. Excellent post. I tried this to export offer entity and I am successful, however I face one issue when using formatted date projection in my export. I get below error message in the SOAP response. Do you know how to overcome this?

    The projection of the main query comes from an expression or a sub-query. You must then indicate in which field to load the value (projection.loadInField()). Projection=QueryProjectionField<alias=ActualStartDate;groupTypeName=;internalId=UID-1704400590;ownerQueryAlias=OfferAcceptedDatesQuery;projectedField=;projectedValueType=class java.lang.String;serializationConverter=;tag=>.

    My Request contains:

    dd-Mon-yyyy

    • Hi, Im also facing the same error for long time I’m not getting details anywhere to resolve this issue. Did u resolved this error?
      Can you please share the solution to resolve the above error. Thanks in advance…

  2. I am able to resolve above issue but facing one more.
    soap:Client
    Not enough message parts were received for the operation.
    SystemError

  3. The service ‘CandidateService’ is not registered for the provided version (‘,”,’) in the XML request for the current product (enterprise). This can also be caused by an empty body part.
    This the error I got from the response

    • Empty SOAP body
      • Category: Request
      • Error: The service ‘{service.name}’ is not registered for the provided version ({namespace.list}) in the XML
      request for the current product ({application.code}). This can also be caused by an empty body part.
      • Cause: The request is incomplete.
      • Action: Make sure to create a complete request respecting the web service WSDL.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s