User Defined Fields Overview
User-Defined fields in Taleo EE can be created to collect information according to specific organization requirements. User-Defined fields can be made available in Taleo Recruiting Center, Career Sections, Candidate Search and the History tab, as well as in OBI reporting. You can create up to 50 User-Defined fields for each of the following categories: Candidate – Personal Information, Candidate – Work Experience, Candidate – Education, Department, Offer, Requisition.
There are three types of User-Defined fields:
- Basic – Text, multilingual text, number, date, and selection (known as a small dropdown menu).
- Selection – Allow System Administrators to define answer selections or create large user defined lists know as a LUDS, which include a quick search lookup for the entry.
- Standard Predefined Selection – Standard Predefined dropdown menus that contain default predefined element lists.
From the integration perspective it is a good question how to discover or explore UDFs definition from third party applications. Taleo Connect Client has ability to refresh/synchronize custom fields from Taleo zone but it is manual step.
From Taleo Release 14B Custom UDF definitions, name and type, can be extracted through a Web Service call. Customers call the Web Service with the EntityName and ModelVersion parameters. It might be very useful when automating integrations with HRIS where custom fields are required.
Expose Custom UDF Definitions
Creating web service requests from Taleo Connect Client (TCC)
A critical aspect of using Taleo Web Services is being able to create requests for export and import. The best approach I found is to leverage TCC which offers a graphical user interface to create queries and apply a few simple transformations to final WS request.
For exploration of UDF definitions I will use FindService WS with findPartialEntities operation. WSDL can be found by URL: https://<your zone>.taleo.net/enterprise/soap?ServiceName=FindService&wsdl
I will prepare SQ-XML query in TCC and paste in the following SOAP envelope:
- Paste your SQ-XML query between the tags and apply the following changes:
- Change the namespace to xmlns:quer=”http://itk.taleo.com/ws/query”.
- Keep only the projectedClass attribute and add an alias attribute if there is none.
So let me start creating SQ-XML query in TCC. For those who not familiar with TCC please see quick start quide from A-Team Group Getting started with Taleo Connect Client (TCC).
You can see TCC export specification for UDFDefinition Entity:
TCC Console allows to see final XML request which has been sended to Integration Server. You can simple cut SQ-XML Query and paste into SOAP message:
Also you can see response message:
Call Web Service from Soap UI tool
An finally I will call web service FindService from my favorite testing tool Soap UI:
Query returns UDFs for Candidate Entity sorted by ID.
I look forward to cooperation.
Good luck and remember:
EXERCITATO ARTEM PARAT (practice is the best teacher)
– Publius Cornelius Tacitus